By now you’ve probably heard of the Farmer Update that Google released in February for it’s algorithm. The update was primarily focused on cleaning up Google’s result pages by removing content farms. Content farms are sites that simply publish large amounts of content of little value in order to gain a high ranking with the search engines.
Supposedly only about 12 percent of Google search queries in the U.S. were affected. Now, you may think your site is pristine and won’t be affected by the update, but here are five tips make sure you are right.
- Be Original: Make sure what you are posting is unique in some way. If you want to use something you found elsewhere on the web. A video, a survey, a chart, etc., make sure you add value.
- High Quality: Avoid simple mistakes such as misspellings, old information and get the facts right.
- Be an Authority: Have expertise in a certain subject? Write about it. Don’t just spit out something you know nothing about.
- Great Presentation: Break your content in to easily consumed chunks. Make it easy to read and engaging for visitors.
- Be Sure to Bring Value: If you follow the first four tips you should be on the right track to adding value. Plus, this doesn’t just help in the eyes of Google, but real people too!