I just read a great article about what business leaders must understand about SEO and Online Marketing. Here are a few of the things that the author discussed:
- Offline and online marketing go hand in hand
- Small changes to your site can have a big ripple effect.
- Mobile is more than just making your site look good on mobile devices, it’s also about the user experience
But the quote below really hit home. This is the area where I spend most of my time educating clients and potential clients.
SEO isn’t just a one-time implementation of website changes. It’s a strategic initiative with many moving parts. Fixing things locally isn’t enough. Google looks at things like social signals, authority back links and user trust to rank websites. These can’t be easily manipulated or fixed through shortcuts.
Building a website and getting it found online is not a once and walk away tactic. There are many factors that go into keep your site at the top of search results: Search engines change their algorithms, competitors change their tactics, people change their behavior… Just to name a few. Building a site and letting it sit for several years, even several months can quickly ruin any success that you’ve seen.
Online Marketing, and in particular SEO, is like any other part of your business. You need to manage it to be successful. After all you wouldn’t let your accounts receivable go for months or years without looking at it would you???
So how do you manage your SEO? Here are few suggestions:
- Implement a reporting plan. Make sure you are running some sort of website analytics on your site. Run regular reports and then study the data.
- Monitor the keywords that are important to you and how you rank for them.
- Carefully plan how to improve your ranking using tactics such as, onsite changes, blogging and content marketing, social media promotion, paid search, etc.
Is your head swimming? Not sure what to do first? Start with a Website Audit!
Read the full article: 7 SEO Truths Every Business Leader Must Understand